Sunday, March 25, 2007

Mawwage. Mawwage is wat bwings us togevah today.

Hi all. I have been trying to sign on to this blog for two weeks now to share the first few peeks at my Moroccan wedding. It did not agree with my methods, and rejected me completely. As is just about always the case, when I finally reached the stage of screaming, "AHHHHH ifsomeonedoesnotcomeandprymyhandsoffofthis mouserightnowiwillshovethecomputeroffthedesk isweariwill," Denise stepped in and figured out a way to beat the system. So (finally) here are a few outtakes.



I was lucky enough to have Frances and Mark here for the wedding. Yay, more people who speak fluent English!

The technichal getting married paperwork happened in a very small, totally unglamourous office. They wrote our marriage contract into a record book which Hassan and I had to sign. Frances has all of the pictures of that on her camera.

Thursday night, we got henna done at home. Here's mine before scraping off the dried paste.


On Friday night, we had the wedding party in a tent room that had been constructed on the roof of our building. First the groom made his entrance.



Then the bride, along with a procession of chanting and drumming in-laws.


First we sat for some photos.

Then we got tired of sitting, so we stood for some photos.

And after what seemed like a long time... and some dinner... we changed clothes and sat down for more pictures. This time they were of us exchanging rings...

and feeding each other milk, and cake, and dates... and kissing each other on the forehead.

After the festivities were over, Frances, Mark, Hassan and I went to Marrakech on Saturday and Sunday. So, I suppose this is a honeymoon photo.
Now that I'm back in, I'll post more details and photos soon.

8 comments:

well with my soul said...

Congratulations! You look stunning!

Anonymous said...

Hey Shannon - Look at you all gorgeous and married!;-) Heartiest congratulations to you and to Hassen. I'm totally thrilled for both of you - you both look great in the pics and I have to say you look particularly FABULOUS DAHLING!I'm really diggin the henna hands - way cool!

Lots of love and big hug!
Norah
xxx

Anonymous said...

Happpppy happy happy day! congratulations and felicitations! You look fabulous, as does your newly wedded husband. I can't wait to see the pictures--please post more...

You look happy (okay, it's kind of a beaches moment) and so i am happy.

I miss you!
XOXOX

Anonymous said...

I was very, very happy to see the pics of the wedding! Thank you for posting them!!! Dude, Francie has been all kinds of sick since she got back, but I'm glad she was able to be there with you for the big day. And glad to hear that your in-laws are so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.....My favorite line of all times.
You look beautiful and Hassan very handsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love to you both......

Anonymous said...

You look so beautiful!! I am very happy for you both. Can't wait to meet Hassan. Call us!!!


Larisa

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Glad that you are happy and all is well. And to think, I was probably only the 34th person to find out that you were married. Oh yeah, remember me, Im your brother. My name is James, Im about 6' tall and Im a scorpio. You get the picture. F'in call me.

James Thomas Wess

Anonymous said...

Is that a Razorback tee-shirt that J.T.'s new brother is wearing?????? MISS YOU!


Larisa