Sunday, April 16, 2006

Surprise!

A group of my friends in college began a tradition of surprise birthday parties. It, of course, quickly became difficult to surprise each other what with all of the suspicion. We resorted to staggeringly clomplex plots and evil deceptions. Once I worked up tears, real tears, and feigned upset over a particular relationship drama to bait Frances into following me, unsuspectingly, into her party. Tony was awoken once in the wee hours of the morning and told he had to drive a friend to the ER because of a severe asthma attack. He stumbled to the lobby of his dorm to find his party.

Surprises for me were notorious failures. Once I was sent on a campus scavenger hunt. The planners failed to consider that one leg of the hunt took me right by the windows of the cafeteria. There I saw many balloons and the waiting partiers. Once they ALMOST got me. As I approached the student union, so close, a friend passed by and said, "Shan, sorry I couldn't make it to your party tonight. I have a test tomorrow."

After moving to California, we continued the tradition until it became ridiculously difficult to get everyone together and pull off a surprise. Then began the theme evenings. So, with time, I dropped my guard. I'm out of the habit of suspicioning. My birthday's not till Thursday the 20th. I knew Denise was planning to cook dinner for me. I got to request Indian food. I figured that setup would include Abdellah and Said, however my assumption was that the dinner would be next Saturday. After my birthday. Wrong. Denise insisted on picking up most of the ingredients while we were at the souk this past Saturday. I suspected nothing. She had tasked Hassan with getting me out of the house, so we went off to have a coke by the beach. I suspected nothing.

We arrived back home, and for some reason, I didn't open the door to my room and deposit my stuff there as usual. Denise had to think fast and invent a need to borrow something from me so I would go into my room. When I opened the door and four boys jumped off of my bed to surprise me, it worked. I'm pretty sure my heart skipped a few beats. I screamed audibly. They got me.

Denise had made an Indian-style tajine dish, as we couldn't get all of the necessary Tikka Masala ingredients. Dinner was lovely, and then there was cake! As you can see, the boys struggled with the spelling of my name. Well, it's phonetically correct anyway. And as it turns out, that didn't affect the taste at all.

They sang Happy Birthday to me in four languages, and then Abdellah insisted on this picture. I thought he was joking at first. He often is. Perhaps this customary American wedding pose is, in Morocco, a customary Birthday pose. Look how somber Abdellah is. Well, at least Hassan is amused in the background.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha!! this is great. i'm glad your birthday went well. my favorite, by far, was you name on the cake. that's awesome.

btw... the asthma attack thing... yeah, that was also me. you guys told me i had to take tony to the hospital, because he was having an asthma attack. Your clever timing... ya know, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREAKIN' NIGHT totally kept me expecting anything.

by the way, we had carmen's surprise birthday party last night. sabina's sister is in town, and sabina had carmen convinced that she was planning a surprise dinner for her sister and asked carmen if she could keep her sister busy while she set up for it in the grill area on the roof. her sister was evidentally the perfect decoy. She kept trying to cook dinner for herself, while carmen was having fits trying to distract her while not giving away the surprise. then of course, carmen was very puzzled when she got to the roof and all her friends were there with a birthday cake. she yelled at everyone for a while, but we ended up having a great time. we grilled and played mafia by the fireplace. it was a good time.